Friday, June 3, 2011

That's one spicy meatball...

Spaghetti and Meatballs
This has been the week from hell...stress X50.  I have felt like I was running around in circles all day only to come home and just feel totally frayed at the seams.  Wednesday night at 8pm I was totally convinced that the only way to feel better was to make spaghetti and meatballs...surprisingly it worked.  Some how the process of making meatballs took almost all of my stress away...so much so that I didn't even mind doing the dishes.

Marinara
For printable recipe, please click here
2 (28 oz) cans  Plum Tomatoes with juice, each tomato crushed by hand
1 (6 oz) can  Tomato Paste
2 small  Onions, chopped
4 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
3 Tbsp  Olive Oil
Oregano
Basil
Parsley
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Chili flake
¼ C  Pasta Water

In a pan/Dutch oven (at least 5qt); sauté the garlic and onion in olive oil.  Once the onions start to become translucent add the tomatoes and the spices (to taste).  Stir in pasta water.  Taste the sauce before adding any salt, the pasta water will already have salt in it so it may not be needed.  Simmer together until cooked through, at least 20 min.

Meatballs
For printable recipe, please click here
2 lbs. Ground Beef (80/20 or 85/15)
2 Eggs, beaten
1 C  Saltine Crackers, smashed (about half a sleeve of saltines)
4 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Red Chili Flake
Salt and Pepper 

Preheat oven at 400⁰.  Combine the meat, eggs, saltine crumbs, garlic, spices, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Mix together with hands.  Form each meatball about an inch and a half in diameter and place on a baking sheet, makes approx. 24 meatballs.  Place meatballs in the oven and bake for about 15 min.  or until browned.  Using a metal spatula; take meatballs off of baking sheet and place in marinara sauce in the Dutch oven.  Reduce heat to oven to 300⁰ and place the Dutch oven back in the oven for approximately 20 – 30 min. Serve over pasta or on a hoagie roll.

Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
Meatballs in Marinara Sauce

Its been a hectic week, at least I ended up with a tasty meal and even tastier leftovers.

Enjoy the foods of your labor.  :-)

Spaghetti and Meatballs

1 comment:

archi said...

Hey Trissi found your blog by accident. I just love your roast chicken, meatballs and devil layer cake!! As you and I know, roast chicken is NOT simple to get right. Must be tender all the way through and no burnt bits outside!! I think you got it just right! I am a lousy baker, but your layer cake has inspired me. I am actually going to follow a recipe for once in my life and try it! Keep up your blog...I am going to follow it!