Friday, February 25, 2011

I can stop anytime...

...I just can't help myself when it comes to soup.  I love soup.  Soup...its a warm hug from the inside out...its what your mother gave you in order to feel better...its what you wished for walking home in the cold, uphill, both ways...glorious soup!!!

This soup caught my eye the other day when I was at my sister's house; it was in one of her soup magazines (you can find the original recipe here:  http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/country-cabbage-soup/Detail.aspx).  I did make a change or two and will note them by using an asterisk.
 
Country Cabbage Soup
For printable recipe, please click here  
2 lbs  Ground Beef
2 Cans (28oz ea)  Diced Tomatoes*  (calls for stewed)
1 Med Head of Cabbage, shredded
1 Tbs Olive Oil* 
5 Cloves Garlic*
2 Lrg Onions, chopped
6 Celery Ribs
16oz+ Chicken Stock*
Salt and Pepper to taste

Prep/chop the celery, onion and garlic (I used a garlic press on the garlic).
In a dutch oven brown the ground beef adding salt and pepper.  
In a stock pot, add the olive oil, celery, onion and garlic, sweat the onion, garlic and celery for approx 5 to 10 min.*
Add the browned ground beef, tomatoes and cabbage to the stock pot w/ the celery, onions and garlic.
Add chicken stock to get soup consistency, about 16oz.. or more if needed.  Let come to a boil; reduce heat.  Simmer for 25 min. or until cabbage it tender.  
Serve warm with bread.
This is truly a good soup and so much can be done with it...adding different spices, using different meats, adding veggies, adding grains.  I left it very simple and it made for a very fresh tasting soup.  After looking at the pics, I think I am going to make some more of this tonight...it was GOOD!  

Enjoy the foods of your labor.  :-)

No comments: